Thank you for contacting Northshore Humane Society. Because we are a nonprofit, no-kill rescue that does not have to euthanize for space, we cannot take in every animal that is brought to us.
We receive over a hundred requests for help each week. The demand for help is greater than the space we have available. This application serves as an evaluation of the pet. If we are able to help, a member of our rescue team will reach out directly to you.
Our priority is to keep animals in homes and out of shelters. We suggest taking a look at our resource page for a list of dog trainers, dog sitters, moving tips, and day cares that can also help you and your pet stay together.
ABCANTRA obedience training programs begin with a face-to-face evaluation of the behavior problems you are experiencing with your dog. After the evaluation, you are provided with simple and practical procedures to correct those problems. Located in Abita Springs.
Dog Gone Right
Dog Gone Right offers force-free training for you and your dogs through day training, group classes, board and train and/or doggy day care! Located in Hammond.
Fido Finishing School
Whether it's basic house manners, puppy training, Canine Good Citizen training, or training for the competitive obedience or agility dog, Fido Finishing School offers group classes or private sessions to meet your needs. The first classes offered were puppy and adult dog basic obedience and competition obedience. Five years later, agility classes were added to the curriculum. In addition to those classes, Rally Obedience and Canine Good Citizen training classes are also currently offered. Located in Mandeville.
JCM's All Breed Dog Obedience
JCM specializing in behavior modification, obedience training, and service dog training. No treats, clickers, or electric collars are used in their training. Westbank and Northshore classes available.
Lorenzo's Dog Training
Lorenzo’s Dog Training Team is focused on keeping dogs out of shelters and in happy homes. Lorenzo’s certified team trainers undergo a comprehensive training curriculum prior to certification to ensure an unwavering commitment to quality animal care and professional conduct.
Off-Leash K9 Training is an off leash dog training business with locations throughout the United States. Off Leash specializes in private lessons, dog behavior consultations, and teaching the owners to understand why their dogs do the things they do. This helps create a strong bond between the owner and dog and without the restriction of a leash.
Petco uses a positive, rewards-based, fun and effective training approach.
Expert dog trainers teach fun & effective group & private classes! Through positive reinforcement, your dog will be successful in the real world (not just the classroom).
These training programs are designed to fit you and your dog’s specific needs. Your dog will learn obedience, impulse control and leash manners as well as address problem behaviors. Located in Mandeville.
- PetSuites Northshore - 2020 exclusive boarding facility for Northshore Humane Society
- Central Bark located in Metairie.
- Creole Canine Pet Sitting & Dog Walking serves St. Tammany Parish.
- The Diva's Pet Sitters, LLC offers services for the dogs, cats, birds...well any pet that's a stay-at-home pet! Based on the Northshore.
- Freedom Pet Sitting Services provides in-home pet sitting. Based on the Northshore.
- Happy Tails Doggie Daycare & Gym located in Mandeville.
- Sit & Stay provides in-home customized pet care.
- Willow's Oak Pet Lodge & Doggie Daycare offers boarding, daycare, pet sitting, walking and training. Located in Madisonville.
- Also try Rover.com to find a pet sitter near you!
- Northshore Humane Society: Our community veterinary clinic not only offers everyday services, we also have various low cost spay/neuter options throughout the year including our Operation CatSnip Program, monthly specials and canine options through grants. Learn more. Keep an eye on our website and Facebook page regularly for new opportunities.
- Magnolia Humane Society offers low cost spay and neuter clinics monthly.
- Pearl River County ASPCA has specials when available.
- Feral Cat Consortium helps the community through trap/neuter/return (TNR) for community cats.
- SpayMart offers spay and neuter vouchers and assistance to poeple in the New Orleans area.
- St. Tammany Spay & Neuter Group.
If you are considering adoption, make sure to think ahead when it comes to housing.
- Save ahead for a pet deposit. The average pet deposit is between $200-500.
- Look for pet friendly amenities around your new location including veterinarians, trainers, dog parks, etc.
- Write a pet resume! In your resume you can have a photo of your pet with references from your current or past landlords. Also include a copy of your most current veterinary records.
- Ask a realtor for help! Let your realtor know that you have a pet (pets) that are part of your family. Have them look up housing options that are right for everyone. Our favorite realtors are Jennifer Lacoste with Keller Williams and Patricia Conaghan with Latter Blum
- Give your pet (especially cats or small dogs) time to acclimate to the new residence. Give them one room to sniff and explore. Once they are comfortable expand slowly, room by room until they are fully acclimated. This can take one day or up to a week. Be patient and give your pet the time they need to be comfortable in their new environment. A move is not just stressful for you, but your pets as well. Ask if there was a pet in the home previously and make sure walls and carpets are cleaned before you move in. Your pets' sensory systems are stronger than humans. They may smell old pet smells that you cannot and mark their territory to claim it as theirs.
- Abita View Apartments
- Artesia Luxury Apartments
- Cypress Lake Apartments
- Grand Palms
- Ibis Trail Apartments
- Reagan Crossing
- Springs at River Chase
**These are just a few of the many options available - For a more extensive list do an internet search for “pet friendly apartments near me”